As the year comes to an end and we kick off 2018, now is the time to consider what New Year’s resolutions you can make that will result in a healthier and happier lifestyle. Like many other people, you might say you are going to exercise more, want to lose weight, or make other changes to your diet.
As you are considering what resolutions you want to make this year, why not include some that will help you improve your oral care? Good oral care habits are directly related to other aspects of our health and well-being. Plus, taking efforts to make improvements can lead to a beautiful looking smile!
Here are a few oral care resolutions you might want to add to your resolution list for 2018:
- Reduce the amount of sugary beverages and treats you eat. It can be hard to cut out colas, gums, candy, cookies and crackers. However, the sugars in these things promote plaque and the growth of tooth-decay causing bacteria that eats away at the enamel on our teeth. If you have had problems with cavities in the past, sticking to this resolution could result in not having any cavities at your next dental checkup.
- Brush twice a day for a full two minutes each time. If you are a “speedy” brusher and rush through the process, your teeth are not getting cleaned. You need to slowly and gently brush your teeth and along the gum line to effectively remove plaque and bacteria.
- Floss at least once a day. We understand just about everyone dislikes flossing. But making an effort to floss at night before going to bed is great for your oral health. Flossing helps remove plaque, trapped food, and bacteria from in between the teeth and the gums where your brush cannot reach.
- Stop using tobacco products. Quitting smoking or using tobacco can be challenging. Yet tobacco use is linked to all types of oral problems including stained teeth, gum and periodontal disease, bad breath, oral and other cancers, and tooth loss.
- Keep up with regular dental checkups. You should make a point to see your dentists at least twice a year to help maintain good oral health. Skipping visits can lead to bigger dental problems, such as cavities or gum disease.
- Improve your smile with cosmetic dental treatments. If you teeth are looking a little yellow, get them whitened at your dentist’s office. If you have gaps in between teeth or they are crooked, cracked, or you have other concerns about how your teeth look, talk to your dentist about various cosmetic treatments that can give you a great looking smile.
To schedule a dental checkup appointment or a consultation appointment to learn more about cosmetic treatments to improve your smile, please feel free to contact Arborg Family Dental at (204) 376-2624 to schedule a consultation appointment today!