If you have crooked teeth and want to get them straightened, you have different options. One option when you do not want to have to wear traditional braces is Invisalign. Invisalign is a revolutionary way to straighten teeth gradually without the hassles of braces. However, Invisalign treatment is not always right for everyone.
Using Invisalign to straighten your teeth requires a serious commitment on your part to stick to the treatment plan. Otherwise your treatment will not progress on schedule and could take much longer than expected.
To help you decide if Invisalign is the best treatment for straighter teeth and a great looking smile, ask yourself the following questions, and be honest with your answers.
- Are you okay with wearing clear plastic aligners over your teeth every day for the next year to year and half? Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners to slowly and gradually shift your teeth into the proper pace. Treatment time can average around a year, sometimes a little longer.
- Are you okay with leaving the clear plastic aligners all day long, except when you eat, snack, drink beverage besides water, and brush and floss your teeth? Just like braces, Invisalign has to be used around the clock with a few exceptions.
- Can you adjust to new daily brushing and flossing habits? You will need to brush your teeth after eating, snacking, and drinking beverages before putting the aligners back in. You will also need to floss at least once a day, sometimes more, depending on what you eat.
- Can you handle cleaning your aligners as directed by your dentist or hygienist? Your clear aligners will need to be cleaned from time to time over the course of the two weeks you use them. Cleaning is essential to remove plaque, bacteria, and keep them from smelling.
- Are you prepared to carry an aligner storage case, toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss with you? Even when you are not at home, you have to carry dental care essentials as part of your Invisalign treatment.
- Can you remember to switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks or as directed by your dentist? Every two weeks or so, you will switch to a new set of aligners. Every time you switch, your teeth will have made very small movements.
- Are you able to keep up with regular checkups during your treatment? Just like braces, there are periodic visits required to monitor your progress and verify you are on track. Initially, your dentist may require you to return in four to six weeks after starting treatment. From there, they will determine the most appropriate checkup schedule.
As you can see, choosing Invisalign to straighten your teeth does require some major changes to your dental habits and care routines. To learn more about Invisalign treatment, please feel free to contact Arborg Family Dental at (204) 376-2624 today!