It can be hard for patients to believe their teeth are in as bad as shape as their dentists tell them. They might not fully understand how they can have a cavity, even though there is no pain. Or they may not realize they have a cracked or chipped tooth because they cannot see it themselves.
For these types of situations and others, the use of intraoral cameras has assisted dentists in being able to share with their patients what they see. The intraoral camera is shaped like other dental instruments your dentist uses during your regular examinations and checkups. Most intraoral cameras are small with the camera on the end of a wand.
They are able to be connected to a computer using a USB port, wirelessly, using Bluetooth, or via a docking port. The images collected by the camera are able to be uploaded onto a computer monitor or flat panel TV screen where the patient can better see what their dentist sees in their mouth.
The benefits patients gain when their dentist uses intraoral cameras includes:
- Up close and first-hand images of your teeth and dental problems. You can see what we see, such as dental plaque, tooth decay, bleeding gums, receding gums, cracked teeth, and so on.
- The pictures provide a more accurate image of what is going on with your teeth, gums, and oral health. Pictures are great for tracking treatment progression and showing improvements over time.
- Intraoral camera images allow us to create better treatment plans for our patients. Since we both can see what is going on in your mouth much better with intraoral cameras, it allows us to develop a more individualized and customized treatment plan just for you.
- Images can be saved and compared to images captured at future visits. Any pictures taken with intraoral cameras can be saved and compared from one visit to another. This can assist with proper diagnosis of dental problems, as well as help identify new issues before they become more serious.
- Intraoral cameras are a great educational tool for patients. Rather than simply trying to explain your current oral health in words, you get to see it in pictures. This often helps most people gain a better understanding of their current oral health.
Additionally, if a referral is required, we will already have pictures we can provide you to take to them or we can email the pictures to the specialist. In some cases, we provide our patients with a picture to take home for self-monitoring, so if there are any changes, they know to return to our dental office.
All of our patients, here at Arborg Family Dental like our intraoral cameras! It helps them better understand dental treatment plans and procedures, as well as their overall oral health. Plus, they are great to use with children so they start to develop proper oral habits.
To learn more about how our dental office uses intraoral cameras or to schedule a consultation appointment, please feel free to call us at (204) 376-2624 today!